First let me explain a practice that takes place in these parts. In this area of the nation's capital, everyone commutes. It sucks but folks around here have different ways of dealing with this dilema. There are commuter lots, there is the VRE, which stands for Virginia Railway Express. Which in fact dear Jim loves very much. There is also carpooling and then there is slugging. I know you are wondering what is slugging? Well, it is the practice of going to these commuter lots and holding up a sign that says where you want to go, ie. Crystal City, Alexandria, Pentagon etc. Then someone will pull up and tell you if they need a rider. The reason for this is that you need to have 3 people in your car to use the HOV lanes, and the commute is much faster if you use the HOV lanes. Well, the reason I share this with you is the other day Brittany and I were driving home from our little adventure in Fredricksburg. We were at a stop light and we saw this man holding a sign. I could see that the sign stated that he was homeless and needed help. Brittany sees him and she's all "I hope he doesn't look at me." Then she says "well, is he homeless or is he just slugging? I mean, he doesn't look homeless to me." And as I was cracking up, she continued to reason that he really could just want to slug somewhere. And then she said, "well, now when I see those people standing with their signs, I am confused, I don't know if they are slugging or need money." Oh that miracle is at it again.
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Confused!!!
First let me explain a practice that takes place in these parts. In this area of the nation's capital, everyone commutes. It sucks but folks around here have different ways of dealing with this dilema. There are commuter lots, there is the VRE, which stands for Virginia Railway Express. Which in fact dear Jim loves very much. There is also carpooling and then there is slugging. I know you are wondering what is slugging? Well, it is the practice of going to these commuter lots and holding up a sign that says where you want to go, ie. Crystal City, Alexandria, Pentagon etc. Then someone will pull up and tell you if they need a rider. The reason for this is that you need to have 3 people in your car to use the HOV lanes, and the commute is much faster if you use the HOV lanes. Well, the reason I share this with you is the other day Brittany and I were driving home from our little adventure in Fredricksburg. We were at a stop light and we saw this man holding a sign. I could see that the sign stated that he was homeless and needed help. Brittany sees him and she's all "I hope he doesn't look at me." Then she says "well, is he homeless or is he just slugging? I mean, he doesn't look homeless to me." And as I was cracking up, she continued to reason that he really could just want to slug somewhere. And then she said, "well, now when I see those people standing with their signs, I am confused, I don't know if they are slugging or need money." Oh that miracle is at it again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Isn't she always at it?
She's so clever. Keeps us all laughing.
Post a Comment